tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Patch to print out IP data in PPP HDLC packets

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 18:27:24 +1000 (EST)

Normally a NIC or interface providing access to an HDLC link/network would
perform de-bytestuffing internally before the packets ever get to libpcap.
Obviously de-bytestuffing a packet twice can corrupt data. Do we really
want to have de-bytestuffing code in libpcap?

This isn't in libpcap, it's tcpdump.

Surely at minimum it should be off by default and selectable as an option
perhaps, if necessary?

No.

The frame format here is something like this:

ethernet{ip{l2tp{hdlc{ppp{ip{gre{ppp{...}}}}}}}}

I'm sniffing at the ethernet level, and I want to see inside as many
headers as I can with tcpdump, so that means de-bitstuffing the HDLC.

Darren
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.