tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: How to use the non-promiscous mode?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:22:31 -0700

On Sep 9, 2004, at 1:10 AM, fullc0de wrote:

 When I searched, I've not been able to find a function
"pcap_open_log()" in pcap.h.

Sorry, that should have been "pcap_open_live()".

 The following code is used in my program.

pcap_open(d->name, 65536, 0, 1000, NULL, errbuf)

 I Thought I am using the non-promiscous mode in my program. But,
unexpected packet was captured.

What type of unexpected packet?

 I want to capture all packet related to the my host.

In non-promiscuous mode you can *still* get packets that are not sent directly to the machine running your program - you will get broadcast packets, and multicast packets that are received by that machine.

If you only want to see packets sent directly to that machine, you will need a filter.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.