tcpdump mailing list archives

TCPDUMP Feature Request: -sec seconds parameter (similar usage with -c <packets>)

From: "SharkTECH Maillists" <freebsd () sharktech net>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 21:05:17 +0300

Hello,

I've been using tcpdump for long time now and I'm truly amazed of how useful it is. So I decided to send you my feature
request, in order to tell you my idea that may improve your program and makes it even more useful.

I usually use -c parameter to limit the number of packets that tcpdump will dump for me, but sometimes it is useful to
set a specific amount of seconds with a -sec parameter or something similar. For example, if I set -c1000 and there
aren't many packets passing on the interface (especially if I use filters), it will take a lot of time until tcpdump
finishes. Instead, if tcpdump had a -sec parameter I would set: -c1000 -sec5, so whatever it comes first (seconds or
packets) it would end the dumping.

I already do the above using in bash shell and works pretty good: tcpdump <parameters> & sleep 5 && kill $!    but I
think it should be done inside tcpdump's code for easier use.

Thank you and keep up the good work.

Best Regards,

psyxakias () sharktech net
freebsd () sharktech net (for maillists)
Systems Administrator