tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: text format stability

From: "Fulvio Risso" <fulvio.risso () polito it>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 07:34:44 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: tcpdump-workers-owner () lists tcpdump org
[mailto:tcpdump-workers-owner () lists tcpdump org]On Behalf Of Michael
Richardson
Sent: mercoledì 30 giugno 2004 21.58
To: tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org
Subject: Re: [tcpdump-workers] text format stability

"Guy" == Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> writes:
    Guy> Along those lines, Tethereal currently offers the ability to
    Guy> output either one-line summary information, a detailed
    Guy> multi-line parse, *or* PDML XML-based dissection for packets.
    Guy> See

    Guy> http://analyzer.polito.it/30alpha/docs/dissectors/PDMLSpec.htm

    Guy> for the PDML specification.

  I think it is an abuse of XML... nothing is actually marked up.

  Everything seems to be given as attributes, i.e.:

<field name="verhlen" pos="15" show="45" showname="Version and
header Length" size="1" value="45">

  rather than:

<field name="verhlen" pos="15" show="45" showname="Version and
header Length" size="1">0x45</field>

  It does use the container mechanism to do sub-structure, but I'm not
convinced that I like it this.

You can change and do it better ;-)

  It is worth looking at.
  How widespread is PDML?

Analyzer uses this natively.
Ethereal is able to prodice PDML output (altough it uses a slightly modified
dialectn of PDML).

        fulvio

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.