tcpdump mailing list archives

New magic number

From: "Francisco Mesquita" <francisco.mesquita () radiomovel pt>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:10:37 +0100

Hello,

I hope I'm making this request at the right place, if not please let me
know.

I'm working in my graduation project with libpcap, and I want to add
some information to the dump file, namely the address and netmask of the
probe, start and end time of the capture and received and dropped
packets during the capture interval.

To accomplish this purpose I need to add to the file header some fields,
for example as shown below:

struct pcap_file_header {

            bpf_u_int32 magic;

            u_short version_major;

            u_short version_minor;

            bpf_int32 thiszone;         /* gmt to local correction */

            bpf_u_int32 sigfigs;        /* accuracy of timestamps */

            bpf_u_int32 snaplen;      /* max length saved portion of
each pkt */

            bpf_u_int32 linktype;      /* data link type (LINKTYPE_*) */

            bpf_u_int32 address;

            bpf_u_int32 netmask;

            bpf_u_int32 starttime;

            bpf_u_int32 endtime;

            bpf_u_int32 recv;

            bpf_u_int32 drop;

};

Can you please assign me a new magic number so this format will be
recognized by libpcap?

If you need more information from me or you have any suggestions please
let me know.

Best regards,

Francisco Mesquita

+351 210 074 483

francisco.mesquita () radiomovel pt
<mailto:francisco.mesquita () radiomovel pt>

AVISO DE CONFIDENCIALIDADE

Este e-mail e quaisquer ficheiros informáticos com ele transmitidos são confidenciais e destinados ao conhecimento e
uso exclusivo do respectivo destinatário, não podendo o conteúdo dos mesmos ser alterado. Caso tenha recebido este
e-mail indevidamente, queira informar de imediato o remetente e proceder à destruição da mensagem. O correio
electrónico não garante a confidencialidade dos conteúdos das mensagens, nem a recepção adequada dos mesmos. Caso o
destinatário deste e-mail tenha qualquer objecção à utilização deste meio deverá contactar de imediato o remetente.

 CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. Their contents may not be altered. If you have received this e-mail in error please
notify the sender and destroy it immediately. Please note that Internet e-mail neither guarantees the confidentiality
of the messages sent using this method of communication nor the proper receipt of the said messages. If the addressee
of this message objects to the use of Internet e-mail, please communicate it to the sender.