tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: advice for heavy traffic capturing

From: "Fulvio Risso" <fulvio.risso () polito it>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 08:29:33 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: tcpdump-workers-owner () lists tcpdump org
[mailto:tcpdump-workers-owner () lists tcpdump org]On Behalf Of Darren Reed
Sent: sabato 7 agosto 2004 13.19
To: tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org
Subject: Re: [tcpdump-workers] advice for heavy traffic capturing

In some email I received from Motonori Shindo, sie wrote:
Hi,

I'm involved in a project to do some network traffic analysis. One of
the goals of this project is to identify an equipment that is
supposedly dropping packets. My idea to achieve this goal is to
capture traffic by tcpdump at both sides of equipment in question and
compare them to determine whether it is actually dropping packets (I
probably need to do some programming here).

First thing, you need to get yourself a network tap.
Something like this:
http://www.netoptics.com/products/product_family_details.asp?cid=1
&pid=60&Section=products&menuitem=1
That might not be the exact item you need, but it should put you on
the right path.

This will cost you money.  These devices are the only real way to go
if you want to have a hope of capturing full duplex data without loss.

My concern is how fast
tcpdump can keep up with without any packet loss.

This is not a tcpdump problem, so much as it is a choice of hardware
and operating system.

If you can find out what buffering the various cards have to go into
the monitoring station, try and use (buy) the one with the most.

Next, use BSD-something.  Forget about Linux/Windows/Darwin.

Darren, could you please give us some numbers?
If you take a look at this paper:

  F. Risso, L. Degioanni
  An architecture for high performance network analysis

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/7446/20240/00935450.pdf?tp=&arnumber=935450&;
isnumber=20240&arSt=686&ared=693&arAuthor=Risso%2C+F.%3B+Degioanni%2C+L.%3B

and this:

  L. Deri
  Improving Passive Packet Capture:Beyond Device Polling
  http://luca.ntop.org/Ring.pdf

it seems that Windows is the most performing OS (without any ad-hoc patch).
Do you have anything (possible published somewhere) supporting what you're
saying?

        fulvio

Linux 2.6 seems to be much worse than 2.4 ever was.

The traffic that I
have to monitor is around 150Mbps at a peak time.

At that point, you may get upto 150Mpbs out without loss.

However, you may have to build your own libpcap/tcpdump where you
increase the BPF buffer size upto 1MB or so if it doesn't get set
that high to start with.

Similarly, to give yourself a good chance, you want to be using
hardware with high internal bandwidth (533Mhz FSB, etc.)  If you
can, PCI-X or 64bit or 66MHz PCI.

I'd like to know which
component is likely the most contributing factor to get higher
performance.

In testing upto 100Mbps, it was the NIC.
With 100BaseT NICs, the best was the Intel Pro 100S.
After that, the next bottle neck (with GigE cards) was PCI.
33MHz, 32bit PCI is just on 1Gbps.  I've been able to capture
at between 900Mbps-1Gbps with multiple NICs.

Going to 66MHz and 64bit gets you 4Gbps.

Darren
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.

-