tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: jump to a packet flag

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 12:35:48 -0700

On Jul 1, 2004, at 12:18 PM, alex medvedev wrote:

this, however, does not work well with relative seq numbers in tcp
packets [maybe smth else too?].

Anything that maintains and uses state information between packets wouldn't work.

However, what could be done would be something that still runs the dissection code on the packet but that suppresses printing; currently, that's not easy to do, as the dissectors just call "printf()", but if, as is being considered, we construct a data structure in the dissector and then print information from that data structure (either in a human-readable form or in some XML or otherwise standardized form to be passed to other programs or scripts), we might just be able to omit the last step.

That's more expensive than just ignoring the first N-1 packets with "-j N, but stuff requiring state continues to work.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.