tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: new file format

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:14:56 -0700

On Jul 23, 2004, at 11:57 AM, Gianluca Varenni wrote:

If the file is transfered from win to unix in ASCII mode, the file should
become

\n\n\r .......... In this case we recognize the first three characters
"\n\n\r", try to convert the first 12 bytes from unix-ascii to win-ascii,
and check the byte order magic at bytes 8-11.

If the file is transfered from unix to win in ascii mode, the file should
become
\r\r\n\r\n\r ....... In this case we recognize (for example) the first three chars "\r\r\n" and try to convert the first n characters (24 chars??) from
win-ascii to unix-ascii, and check the byte order magic at bytes 8-11.

Is there always only one way of converting between UN*X format and Windows format? Or could information be lost, even for this particular case, in a way that prevents it from being reclaimed?

One possibility would be to assume that if the byte-order magic appears within some number of bytes of the proper position the file was a valid dump file transferred in ASCII order. I suspect that, in a UN*X to Windows transfer, at most every \n would become a \r, so that'd mean that the magic number would be at most 6 bytes after the correct position (if the block size *happened* to be 168430090, i.e. 0x0a0a0a0a, or \n\n\n\n) and, in a Windows to UN*X transfer, at most every \r would be deleted, so that'd mean that the magic number would be at most 6 bytes before the correct position (if the block size *happened* to be 218959117, i.e. 0x0d0d0d0d, or \r\r\r\r), so if the byte-order magic appears (in either byte order) in an offset between 2 (8-6) and 14 (8+6), assume the file was a valid file transferred in ASCII mode.

I.e., don't bother trying to recover the block type and block size, just check for a byte-order magic in any of the places where it could possibly be.

(We'd do the same with subsequent section header blocks, and say "sorry, some part of this file was transferred in ASCII mode" or "somebody concatenated to a file another file transferred in ASCII mode".)

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.