tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: text format stability

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 19:07:15 +0200

Despite all my whining, it is great that tcpdump is being worked on again, and I
appreciate the effort that you've put into it.  I just wish there was an option
that would preserve the old behavior.  (Or, even better, an option that would
*give* the new behavior.)  I think a lot of people would appreciate this.

I'm afraid I have to disagree. I've had some surprises myself from the
new formats, but I think tcpdump is definitely moving in the right
direction. I would rather have tcpdump with new functionality and some
changes in the print format, than no new functionality at all.

The converse of this, of course, is that you always have the opportunity
to use an old version of tcpdump, which prints in the format you want!

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.