tcpdump mailing list archives

text format stability

From: Eddie Kohler <kohler () CS UCLA EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:38:41 -0700

Hi all,

I've noticed, painfully, that recent minor releases of tcpdump have changed the longstanding format for "tcpdump -v" text output. This isn't an inherently bad idea, but there are a lot of scripts in the world that parse tcpdump text output, and that are broken by arbitrary format changes. (For example, I have regression tests that check for particular packet characteristics; comparing to tcpdump text output can be better than pcap files for this purpose.)

I hope that the tcpdump-workers plan to re-stabilize the tcpdump text format soon, and that the next release will change a major version number, to make the format changes more obvious to users.

Thanks very much,
Eddie Kohler

P.S. There's a bug in the ip_finddst function that causes most IP packets with options to report incorrect TCP/UDP checksums. A bug report and patch have been submitted to sourceforge.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.