tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap problems

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:11:47 -0700

On Jun 22, 2004, at 8:45 AM, Bowser Jason S Contr AFRL/IFTA wrote:

I am writing some software that forks multiple process on a unix macine(IRIX) however when i have each child start the pcap_loop when i get to the 4th childĀ and beyond i get the following error

pcap_open_live snoop bind: Cant assign requested address

 However if i comment out the pcap_loop line the i dont get that error.

 I am opening the device (ef0) using promiscous mode if that helps

I.e., you have four processes doing a "pcap_open_live()" on "ef0" in promiscuous mode?

You might want to ask SGI about this - perhaps there's a limit on the number of "snoop" sockets that can be bound to a particular network interface, although I have no idea why such a limit would show up only if you have a read in progress on the sockets.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.