tcpdump mailing list archives

TCPDUMP getting signals from Mars

From: Norman Elton <wnelto () net wm edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:37:45 -0400

I'm running TCPDUMP on a number of machines. They all behave as expected, with one exception. We have a machine with 4 network cards, although I doubt this is related to the failure. After running TCPDUMP for a minute or two, it unexpectedly quits, as if we had hit CNTRL-C. It prints the number of packets received and dropped, then returns you to the command prompt.

This occurs using RedHat's RPM installation. I also installed from source, and modified the program to output the signal number. It is indeed receiving a signal 15 (sigterm), but for the life of me, I can't figure out where it's coming from.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Norman