tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 dependency

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:50:22 -0700

On Apr 29, 2004, at 11:00 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

  Your patch means that one can not decode v6 packets in a v4-only
environment.

I think that's already the case.

  We have strived to provide replacement headers whenever possible such
that the dissectors are fully features on all platforms.

There's a bunch of IPv6 stuff that's inside "#ifdef INET6" and that's compiled in only if --enable-ipv6 is specified.

As I remember, that configuration switch doesn't work if you don't have IPv6 support on your platform.

I started looking at trying to make the IPv6 stuff work (with some limitations, e.g. no address-to-name resolution for IPv6 addresses) on an IPv4-only system, but I haven't finished that.

It's been a while since I looked at it, but I *think* the problem is that we rely on the underlying OS to define "struct in6_addr".

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.