tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: IGRP

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:23:31 -0700

On Apr 28, 2004, at 7:03 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

Hannes,
  ipproto.c has IPPROTO_IGRP, but ipproto.h doens't define it.

Is this supposed to be protocol=9 ("IGP"), which you have as
IPPROTO_PIGP, or???

Actually, I made it IPPROTO_PIGP, not Hannes - that one's not his fault.

We used to have IPPROTO_IGMP as 9 and IPPROTO_EIGRP as 88; however, some BSDs have IPPROTO_PIGP as 9 and IPPROTO_IGRP as 88, and don't have IPPROTO_EIGRP at all, so IPPROTO_IGRP and IPPROTO_EIGRP both end up defined as 88, and print-ip.c doesn't compile because it has two "case" clauses with a value of 88.

I decided to have IPPROTO_PIGP be 9 and IPPROTO_EIGRP as 88, as the current IANA protocol number assignments page says 9 is "any private interior gateway (used by Cisco for their IGRP)" and 88 is "EIGRP" from Cisco; so 9 isn't *explicitly* IGRP but 88 *is* explicitly EIGRP (not IGRP).

That fixed the compilation problem on OS X 10.3.3 (which is one of the BSDs in question), but ipproto.c continued to compile because OS X (like the other BSDs) defines IPPROTO_IGRP (as 88) - but it fails on OSes that don't define IPPROTO_IGRP.

The "temporary patch" Michael checked in is, in fact, the correct fix.

That raises another question, though - "print-ip.c" now treats both protocol 9 and protocol 88 as IGRP, but the packet formats are, I think, different - should we *only* treat IPPROTO_PIGP as IGRP, and handle IPPROTO_EIGRP either not at all or with an "eigrp_print()" routine?

(BTW, I'm sending this to tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org - if it doesn't make it to the list, that might be because of the check for headers that are too long, as I'm mailing it from work. I had to shuffle the addresses around, as the reply-to address is still tcpdump-workers () lists sandelman ca - perhaps that no longer bounces, but it's bounced in the past.

I'm CCing Michael as well as Hannes on this; Michael, if this doesn't make it to the list, you might want to configure the mail software either to have a higher limit on the number of headers or not to count "Received:" headers against the quota.)

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.