tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap_loop error

From: Christian Kreibich <christian () whoop org>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:09:58 -0700

Hi,

in the pcap file format, each packet is prefixed by a little header
structure that tells pcap details about the following packet.

"truncated dump file" means that at the end of the trace, there's a pcap
packet header that states that a packet of a size follows that actually
is not fully contained in the trace file. It often happens when the
output buffer is not fully flushed when a program is terminated and is
pretty much harmless -- you'll just lose that incomplete last byte in
your output trace.

If your output file contains only 24 bytes, it means the filter held
back all packets and your output file is empty -- you shouldn't get an
error message on such a file though, as a pcap trace file containing no
packets is perfectly valid.

"bogus savefile header" means that a pcap header in front of a packet in
a trace contains obviously incorrect values.

hth,
Christian.