tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: how to get total packets length by tcpdump

From: Bruce M Simpson <bms () spc org>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 22:47:12 +0000

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:33:32PM +0000, Christian Kreibich wrote:
On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 22:08, wcai () gmu edu wrote:
Is there any simple way to calculate the total length (in bytes) of  all tcp packets in a tcpdump file? I mean, is
it possible that I can do this by adding some options to tcpdump?

Not offhand unless you write a simple pcap program to do it. I used to
do a pass over tcpdump capture to calculate TCP-MD5 digests (option 19),
before I re-rolled this support as a patch for tcpdump proper to perform
shared-secret digest checking live, so writing code for this isn't too
difficult.

BMS
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe