tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Jpcap -> Warning: arptype 802 not supported by libpcap - falling back to cooked

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 11:29:34 -0800

On Mar 7, 2004, at 3:52 PM, Paranoid Penguin wrote:

I installed the latest version of libpcap (2004.03.06) and jpcap(0.01.14). Kismet and ethereal work fine with the libpcap. But the exampleprogram of jpcap gives the following: Warning: arptype 802 not supported by libpcap - falling back to cooked socket,although it still receives packets. Now i'm building a program that also uses jpcap and i get the same warning, but it doesn't detect networks, while it should...
Any idea?
I googled the warning and only found reactions like "your libpcap version is to old, install a new one"... i installed the latest versions so... (also tried it with the last stable libpcap0.8.1 release).

...but you're not necessarily running with that version - if you were, you wouldn't be getting that error.

I don't know how jpcap finds libpcap - but if, for example:

        1) it's dynamically linked with libpcap, or loads it at run time;

        2) your system comes with a version of libpcap prior to 0.7.2;

        3) the libpcap you installed was a static library;

installing a new version won't help (except with the current CVS version on those OSes that use the GNU linker, and even there you have to do "make shared" and "make-install-shared" *AND* somehow make sure that jpcap picks up the version you installed rather than the version that came with the system) - you'd have to somehow arrange to rebuild jpcap with the version you installed.

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe