tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: question about hardware requirements

From: Koryn Grant <koryn () endace com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:47:36 +1300 (NZDT)

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Michael Richardson wrote:

"Zhanxiang" == Zhanxiang Huang <zh4c () cs virginia edu> writes:
    Zhanxiang> In order to use tcpdump snooping 1Gbps traffic without
    Zhanxiang> dropping packets,
    Zhanxiang> what are the requirements for the hardware?

    Zhanxiang> Say, how fast should the CUP, memory, cache, buses and hard
    Zhanxiang> drive be?

  I'm not aware of any current off-the-shelf hardware that can deal with
this.

  You'd need a PCI-Express equipped system with a NIC card that can deal
with the data rates involved.

  If you want to do Gb/s, you'll need hardware dedicated to the purpose.
I.e. Smartbits, etc.

A PCI-X system works fine, provided you have the right network card.
The other hardware requirements depend on whether you are doing real-time
analysis or capturing to disk.

More information is available at:

    http://www.endace.com/gigemon.htm

or email me directly - I did some work tuning one of our Gigemon systems
last year, and should be able to help answer any further questions.

Cheers,
Koryn
--
Dr Koryn Grant                         phone   +64 7 8346729
Senior Software Engineer               mobile  +64 21 488386