tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: AIX build using BPF

From: Shaun <delius () progsoc uts edu au>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:21:24 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 Dannis_Yang () candle com wrote:

I download and built tcpdump 3.7.2 and libpcap 0.7.2 on AIX 4.3 using BPF.
The bpf_open() call failed with errno  6 No such device or address for
device /dev/bpf0. However, if I just run once the tcpdump program came with
the OS in /usr/sbin directory then from that point on my built tcpdump work
without any problem. It seems that I must run the tcpdump came with the AIX
once every time system is IPL'ed. Is this a reported problem or I have
built incorrectly? Thank you.

Known problem, use the latest source tarballs, 0.7.2 is very old. Also,
AIX's BPF driver has some serious errors which can crash the machine,
check IBMs site for the latest updates.

Cheers,
Shaun

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe