tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Feature request: time limits

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 19:24:39 -0800

On Oct 20, 2003, at 9:22 AM, Rob Quinn wrote:

  See patches below for a sample implementation with ualarm

...which isn't necessarily present on all the platforms on which tcpdump runs (note that it runs on Windows - the WinDump code is merged into the main tcpdump CVS source).

I followed the SIGTERM/SIGINT
examples, but the whole think strikes me as questionable. Is there a chance the logfile will be garbled? Are all of the packets really getting flushed to
the logfile?

Typically, yes. There is, however, a risk that if the output stream is in the middle of being written to when the signal is delivered, it might not be properly flushed.

Ideally, the signal handler should just be able to force the capture loop to terminate; there currently isn't a "force the loop to terminate" API - I've done some work on implementing one, and should probably go back and finish it.