tcpdump mailing list archives

snaplen vs number of bytes actually saved

From: Aaron Turner <aturner () pobox com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:01:16 -0800

So I've got an old pcap file which I don't remember the actual snaplen used.
Now I know the pcap_file_header keeps a record of this (in my case 144
bytes).  What is strange though, is that the file actually has a maximum
of 158 bytes stored (I can see the extra bytes in ethereal).

Can anyone explain the discrepancy?  This is libpcap 0.7.2.

Thanks,
Aaron

--
Aaron Turner <aturner at pobox.com|synfin.net>  http://synfin.net/
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin