tcpdump mailing list archives

libpcap pcap_dumper_t: feature request

From: Craig Davison <craig () darkcalgary com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:20:10 -0600 (MDT)

Hello all,

I noticed that pcap_dump has no (documented) way of reporting I/O errors
back to the caller.

However, the user parameter (pcap_dumper_t*) can be casted to type FILE*,
and passed to ferror() after every call. This allows, for example, disk
space and large filesize errors to be trapped.

What do you think about adding a pcap_dump_fileno(pcap_dumper_t*)
function that returns a FILE *, so developers don't have to do a nasty
(and possibly non-portable) cast to check for I/O errors? This is an ideal
change, as it doesn't involve change the arguments or return values of any
of the other functions.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks,
--
Craig Davison
-