tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Observing duplicate frame captures in TCPDU MP

From: Andrea Montefusco <andrea.montefusco () kyneste com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:19:14 +0100

Kraus, Jeffery wrote:
In this scenario it is not 802.11. I have my Redhat 9 Box running TCPDUMP
connected to a Cisco Catalyst 6509 using 10/100 CAT5e Ethernet on a port
Spanning 2 VLANs. The Multiples frames are identical (every byte, MAC, IP,
etc...) Although the timestamps are slightly different (off by less than a
millisecond or so).

It definitely seems to be an issue with the Cisco Span Port....I have
connected a PC running Sniffer Pro and IRIS Sniffers, and are seeing the
same thing. I will investigate this further with Cisco. Thank you all for
your help.

Which version of CatOS are you using ?
I can see the same behaviour on my 650x with 5.4 version.

  *am*

Andrea Montefusco                         Network Manager
Kyneste S.p.A.  Roma Via Mario Bianchini, 68
                Milano Via della Posta, 3
tel: +3906874021 mob: +393356992791 fax: +390687402300