tcpdump mailing list archives

RE: RE : Observing duplicate frame captures in TCPDUMP

From: "Kraus, Jeffery" <Jeffery.Kraus () uscellular com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:10:28 -0600

Well, I did not come across any physical documentation from Cisco on this,
but here are my Findings:
I was observing the duplication of frames when running a port SPAN on a
Catalyst 6509. The way I set up the port span was as such: "set span 4,5
3/8", which basically is saying SPAN ALL PORTS on VLAN 4 and 5 and puts
those frames on port 3/8 (where my sniffer is).

It turns out that by doing this I am capturing BOTH INGRESS and EGRESS
frames, and that is why I see duplicate frames.
For Example, Router A wants to send Frame 1 to Router B. Both Routers have
interfaces on VLAN 4, and are both plugged physically in the same Catalyst.
When I run the SPAN port for VLAN 4, The SPAN port will receive Frame 1 sent
by Router A, then will also receive the Frame 1 again when it is sent from
it's Catalyst port to Router B.

So by observing this, I have to be more selective in my SPAN logic. I now
choose to SPAN individual ports instead of the entire VLAN, and that keeps
the duplicate of frames from occurring. Hope this helps.

Jeffery Kraus
Data Services Engineer
773.216.3179 (cell)
224.653.3720 (office)