tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Re: pcap_findalldevs can't see loopback on Solaris system

From: "Guy Harris" <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:33:31 -0700 (PDT)

David Chang said:
On the Linux platform I'm able to see the loopback interface when
calling pcap_findalldevs, but on Solaris I'm not able to. Why is that?

Because pcap_findalldevs() returns only interfaces that can be opened with
"pcap_open_live()", and loopback devices on Solaris are not DLPI
interfaces, and only DLPI interfaces support packet capture on Solaris.

How can I get Solaris to sniff the loopback interface?

By getting the source code to Solaris and modifying it so that you can
access the loopback device with DLPI (if that's even possible).

I.e., you're probably out of luck. If you need to capture on the loopback
device, you need to use Linux, Digital UNIX, or one of the BSDs (including
Mac OS X).

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe