tcpdump mailing list archives

Signed/Unsigned Frag Offset Issue?

From: Joshua Krage <jkrage () guisarme net>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 16:15:40 -0500

On another list, somone was asking about the following behavior:

  tcpdump -n 'ip[6:2] & 0x1fff = 0'    yields unfragmented or 1st fragment
  tcpdump -n 'ip[6:2] & 0x1fff != 0'   yields non-first fragments

  tcpdump -n 'ip[6:2] & 0x1fff > 0'    yields ALL packets

In verifying, I added:
  tcpdump -n 'ip[6:2] & 0x1fff < 0'    yields non-first fragments

Checking the libpcap bug database, something possibly close was
    [ 693263 ] signed/unsigned comparisons.

My test environment was Debian Linux 2.4.20, tcpdump 3.7.1 and libpcap 0.7.

I can't reconcile my results with Guy's bug followup that the bpf driver's
he has checked treated both the accumulator and constant as unsigned.

Any ideas?

--
Paranoia is a way of life.  With or without the Thorazine.
-