tcpdump mailing list archives

missing/wrong headers when building libpcap under Linux 2.4.22 and glibc 2.3.2

From: "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed () reedmedia net>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 00:22:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hopefully, this is the right list for libpcap. The
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/ archive doesn't have 2003.

For some reason, libpcap-0.7.2 is not building for me with Linux 2.4.22
and glibc 2.3.2.

It first fails:

cc -O2 -O2 -I. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c ./pcap-snoop.c
In file included from pcap-snoop.c:36:
/usr/include/net/raw.h:24: error: parse error before "u32"
/usr/include/net/raw.h:31: error: `MAX_INET_PROTOS' undeclared here (not
in a function)

That MAX_INET_PROTOS is defined in net/protocol.h, so I tried adding that,
but that needed netinet/in.h which caused different problems.

The other errors are:

pcap-snoop.c:43:28: netinet/ip_var.h: No such file or directory
pcap-snoop.c:45:29: netinet/udp_var.h: No such file or directory
pcap-snoop.c:47:27: netinet/tcpip.h: No such file or directory
pcap-snoop.c:109: error: storage size of `rawstats' isn't known
pcap-snoop.c:113: error: `SIOCRAWSTATS' undeclared (first use in this
function)
pcap-snoop.c:165: error: `PF_RAW' undeclared (first use in this function)

That is strange. Those look like BSD type header files. I don't see them
on my Linux systems.

I simply did:

./configure # I also tried with --enable-ipv6
gmake # I also tried with bmake (aka pmake)

This is basically the same as what is done with the Debian build and
gentoo builds.

The README.linux doesn't say anything about building. The INSTALL.txt
seems to indicate that it works for some versions of Linux.

I want to build this for nmap; I understand that nmap can use already
installed --with-libpcap.

I also understand that some versions of tcpdump include a libpcap that may
build under Linux.

What libpcap should I use?

I only want one installed.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe