tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: what is the meaning of netmask in pcap_compile() API?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:31:46 -0800

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 12:18:33PM +0800, WANG Yong wrote:
I am using libpcap to receive ISO8473 CLNP/802.2 LLC1 packets from
network interface and I need to set some filter using pcap_compile()
API.  This API has a parameter named netmask.  I suppose this is only
useful when doing jobs related to TCP/IP, so in my case i can safely
ignore it and set it any value.

It's useful only for the "ip broadcast" filter expression, which checks
for IPv4 broadcasts - it checks whether the "local host" part of the
IPv4 destination address is all 1's.

If you specify 0, filter expressions with "ip broadcast" won't work.
Everything else will work.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe