tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: changing filter on running capture

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:19:21 -0800

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 09:54:59AM +0100, Stephan Knabe wrote:
From another thread, I want to change the filter, replacing the one used
by the capture.

I'm not certain that you can do that safely; libpcap's code isn't
thread-safe, and I think that, when somebody last asked about this, I
found some places where you could have a problem if you change a capture
filter in one thread while you're capturing in another.

That discussion is probably somewhere in the tcpdump-workers archives.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe