tcpdump mailing list archives

live capture questions

From: "Chris sun" <lei_sun () comcast net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:38:47 -0500

Hi :
  I was using libpcap to do some node discovery work, initially, I send a broadcast to all nodes on the network, each
node will reply to this broad cast with it's unique ID. I opened pcap in live capture mode.  Since in live capture
mode, i can only read 1 packet per capture. i wonder if all the nodes try to send reply at the same time to my host
machine(the one captures the packet), how do i make sure i will read all reply packet ?  I am using pacap_dispatch()
function. Are packets stays in the buffer, while the dispatch call my handler and pass the packet one by one ? or other
packets simply dropped ?

Thank you!
chris