tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Re: pcap Performance Testimonies

From: Shaun <delius () progsoc uts edu au>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:20:44 +1000 (EST)

  Instead I was wondering if a few of you could write some testimonies
in favour of pcap's (and tcpdump's) performance on capturing
  packets on high speed ethernet connections. Some figures would be
great if you have any. I would also like permission to quote these
testimonies
  and reference their authors in my dissertation.

Well, I hate to be the grinch here, but I have had good and bad
experiences with pcap performance, mostly because pcap itself isn't really
responsible for the performance (or lack thereof) of capture, the kernel
drivers it talks to are.

We have had very varied experience with performance from platform to
platform, Linux is pretty ok, Solaris is excellent, AIX is ok
(nothwithstanding a number of bugs), Irix sucks etc. etc.

Cheers,
Shaun

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe