tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: BSDi BPF extension

From: itojun () iijlab net
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:53:22 +0900

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 07:07:39AM +0900, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
     bad things:
             BSDi BPF changed interpretation of some additional BPF insn
             (and new interpretation like 128bit register) without having
             any version identification.
Which instructions' interpretation did they change (rather than adding
new interpretations)?

        don't remember, i really need to look at the source (i don't have it
        handy).  maybe it's just additional insn.  anyways, we will know
        when it got released (and we need to worry about it only if it got
        released).

             there's no way to identify
             what version of BPF engine is installed in the kernel,

True, unfortunately, for BSD/OS.

However, if other BSDs adopt that engine, they should change the version
from the 1.1 that's in the top-of-tree {Free,Net,Open}BSD to 1.2 or 2.0
(1.2 if new instructions are added, 2.0 if existing supported
instructions are changed incompatibly), so that libpcap can do a
BIOCVERSION to determine whether the kernel's BPF interpreter supports
the new stuff or not.  (I don't know offhand whether Darwin uses 1.1,
but I can check it at work tomorrow - I suspect we do.)

        but still, we need to have two gencode.c (or many
        "if (old) this else that" in gencode.c).

itojun
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe