tcpdump mailing list archives

tcpdump on any interface

From: Riho Randla <riho () hot ee>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 13:17:49 +0300

Hello,

When dcpdump didn't have the "-i any" option, it listened, if not defined, on all interfaces and outputed the interface name at the start of each line:

eth0 > eth1 <

Afterwards, the interface names had lost, and came the "-i any" option. I found it very helpful seeing the interface names before the packet data, especially if needed to debug some complicated forwarding or routing between servers with many interfaces. Why the developers removed that feature, I don't know. I didn't find any question nor answer about the issue, too, in newsgroups. Can anybody explain that? Is it possible to add the interface names at the start of the lines, as was early?

Thanks,

Riho
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe