tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Stdout flush patch

From: Michael Welzl <michael.welzl () uibk ac at>
Date: 03 Sep 2003 08:50:39 +0200

Hi,

Sorry for being such a twit   :(
I obviously overlooked it in the man page ...

Thanks,
best regards,
Michael

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 18:52, Guy Harris wrote:
On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 03:48:55PM +0200, Michael Welzl wrote:
tcpdump writes its output with printf and doesn't flush the
stdout buffer - which seems to make no difference in a
bash shell, but led to an output buffering problem (hangs
for a while, then gives you a lot of output at once, then
hangs, etc. ...) as soon as I tried to pipe the output.

That's what the "-l" flag is for; from the man page

       -l     Make stdout line buffered.  Useful if you  want  to
              see the data while capturing it.  E.g.,
              ``tcpdump  -l  |  tee  dat''  or  ``tcpdump  -l   >
              dat  &  tail  -f  dat''.

It dates back to tcpdump 3.4, and possibly earlier.
--
Michael Welzl <michael.welzl () uibk ac at>
University of Innsbruck

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html