tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump - performs what on initialization?

From: Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:34:47 -0400

Guy Harris wrote:
On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 06:36:51PM -0700, Derek D. Newton wrote:

I currently administrate some Cobalt RaQ 4 servers, which occaisionally
stop responding via their network interface. This has been a mystery so
far, but may have something to do with ARP'ing. ifconfig down /up brings
the RaQ back up, but so does simply running tcpdump.

Do any *other* ifconfig operations that might do something to the
hardware also bring it back up (turning promiscuous mode on or off with
ioctl, turning allmulti mode on or off, changing the media type)?

I don't know offhand whether ifconfig down/up does, although I wouldn't
be surprised if they do; turning promiscuous mode on, as tcpdump does by
default, definitely does things to the hardware.

For one thing ifconfig down/up sends a gratuitous arp. If gratuitous arp solves the problem, you may have an IP address conflict on your LAN.

--
Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
NOAA Computer Incident Response Team (N-CIRT) <ncirt () noaa gov>

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html