tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for DLT_ assignment: DLT_FIREWIRE

From: Dieter Siegmund <dieter () apple com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:10:23 -0700

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 3:38PM, Guy Harris wrote:

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 10:18AM, dieter () apple com wrote:

I'd like to request a new DLT assignment:
#define DLT_FIREWIRE            xxx     /* simplified IEEE1394 interface */

The DLT_FIREWIRE device uses an ethernet-like header:

#define FIREWIRE_EUI64_LEN      8
struct firewire_header {
        u_char  firewire_dhost[FIREWIRE_EUI64_LEN];
        u_char  firewire_dhost[FIREWIRE_EUI64_LEN];
        u_short firewire_type; /* ether type */
};

That's not the raw GASP stuff mentioned in RFC 2734, so we might want to give it a name indicating that, just as there's a DLT_IP_OVER_FC that isn't raw Fibre Channel.

Is that header likely to be used by other IP-over-1394 implementations on OSes that support libpcap? Or is it specific to the Apple implementation? If it's the latter, the name should perhaps mention Apple.

I have no idea whether other OS's would adopt the use of this header.

I'm open to suggestions for an alternate name.  How about:
DLT_IP_OVER_FIREWIRE
DLT_IP_OVER_IEEE1394
DLT_APPLE_IP_OVER_IEEE1394
DLT_APPLE_IP_OVER_FIREWIRE

Thanks,
Dieter

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe