tcpdump mailing list archives

dropping of packets

From: Celia Clark <cclark () ics mq edu au>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 20:53:40 +1000

Hi

I am writing my thesis on intrusion detection systems, and among others, I am using
tcpdump to analyse traffic on the target host in the test network.
I am trying to send spurious packets so that the target host will discard these kind of packets.  I have seen that
tcpdump will at the end of a trace give the number of packets that have been dropped by the kernel, but this does not
seem to have any relation to packets being discarded because of their malicious nature.
I am running Red Hat, and I would like to know which process in the OS that takes care of discarding. If TCPdump is
interacting with the protocol stack via the application layer, should it not be the case that TCPdump should not be
able to sniff malicious datagrams as they should have been discarded by the network layer already?
Hope someone out there could knows the answer to this, and is willing to help me,

Thanks,

Celia Clark