tcpdump mailing list archives

RE: listing all devs

From: "Fulvio Risso" <fulvio.risso () polito it>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 07:35:28 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-tcpdump-workers () sandelman ottawa on ca
[mailto:owner-tcpdump-workers () sandelman ottawa on ca]On Behalf Of Gisle
Vanem
Sent: martedì 13 maggio 2003 18.15
To: tcpdump
Subject: Re: [tcpdump-workers] listing all devs

"Guy Harris" <guy () netapp com> said:

Any UNIX so old as not to have "readdir()" isn't likely to be
interesting for libpcap, so all you have to worry about is Win32 and
UNIX.

Both MingW and Watcom (the one I use to compile tcpdump) have
readdir(). Emulating it for MSVC should be easy using FindFirstFile().

However, the problem then is that to list all capture files you'd have
to try to open *all* files in the directory and see which ones are
libpcap-format files

That's what I meant.Read the magic number and check against some
minimum supported version.

So, will pcap_findalldevs_ex() find it's way into the "offical" libpcap?
I assume pcap-new.c will compile on all targets. Is there a reason why
winpcap's libpcap isn't synced with the version at www.tcpdump.org?

Yes, there is a reason.

I have cvs commit access on libpcap repository.
However, I don't want to commit everything unless I get an explicit "ok"
from other developers (or from the mlist).
I asked a couple of times what people think about including the new remote
capture (therefore the new functions as well), but I didn't receive a clear
indication. Neither "no", nor "yes".

So, WinPcap has these functions, libpcap has not.
I people think that remote capture (although experimental) and the new
functions are useful, I'm very happy to include them into the libpcap
repository (which is a Very Good Think for me as well, since I'm
experimenting a lot of troubles when trying to syncronize the code between
libpcap and Winpcap).

        fulvio

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe