tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: AIX BPF driver load

From: Guy Harris <guy () netapp com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:03:36 -0800

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 10:10:15AM +1100, Shaun wrote:
On another AIX related note, for our product we'll need to modify
pcap-bpf.c to be able to load the bpf driver in the same way as IBMs
libpcap.a does. I notice the existing comment about it being 'not
necessarily' documented, does this mean that if I implement this feature
it won't be accepted as a patch to the main line?

No, it means that if you implement the future we might be truly
impressed that you managed to figure out how to do it, given that you
might have had to reverse-engineer an undocumented AIX interface in
order to do it.

The mere fact that a change causes libpcap to use an undocumented
interface would hardly cause us not to include that change - there's
plenty of reverse-engineered stuff in there already.

We might be more likely to check that code in if it were tested on both
a 4.x and 5.x version of AIX, as per the "although the code to do so
might be version-dependent, alas" comment - and if the code only works
on some releases, we might have to figure out some way to cause it to be
used only on those releases (the alternative might be to leave it out).
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe