tcpdump mailing list archives

AIX BPF

From: Shaun <delius () progsoc uts edu au>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 09:55:36 +1100 (EST)

Hi,

I've been perusing the archives and noticed the (relatively) recent
discussion and patch applied to the main line regarding AIX BPF reads
returning EFAULT. The conclusion was the the AIX BPF driver returns an
EFAULT on the next read after it was forced to drop packets (as an
indication that packets have been dropped since the last read). I'm not
sure of this conclusion, we've lately been developing a pcap based
application that has been receiving EFAULTs but those errors are not
accompanied by any change to the dropped packet counter. If I
deliberately slow the program sufficiently to insure dropped packets I get
the EFAULTs and the dropped packet counter is incremented as expected.

Not sure what to do about this, short of getting someone from IBM to
explain this behaviour. Just thought I'd report our experiences.

Thanks,
Shaun

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe