tcpdump mailing list archives

A new feature request - gzip compression while using -w option

From: Srihari Vijayaraghavan <harisri () bigpond com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:40:44 +1100

Hello,

In my tests when I tried compressing the tcpdump captured data file using
gzip, it did approx 30 folds compression (64 MB file became 1.8 MB).

I am wondering if there a possibility of -g (for gzip) which will work
together with -w option in writing the file to the disk using gzip
compression.

In our case we are trying to capture approx 50000 packets/sec on 6 interfaces
(approx 100 bytes packets), it fills up plenty of hard drive space, so having
gzip would minimise that and also it wouldn't stress the IO when we have to
transfer the data across to a different computer over the network regularly
(it's fine even if tcpdump has to use more memory for better compression etc
due to this feature, at least in our case)

If this isn't a good idea for tcpdump project, can someone please give me some
help in what function on what .c files in the tcpdump source tree would be
the appropriate place to start implementing that feature? (I am no C
programmer, at least not yet, but I will give it a try)

Thanks
--
Hari
harisri () bigpond com

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html