tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Welcome to tcpdump-workers

From: "Terry Bogard" <terrybogard4 () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 09:50:20 +0000

I'm using winpcap/libpcap in an MFC multi-threaded project to sniff packets on my LAN - so that all the devices on my LAN are detected & profiled - it's basically a LAN Device management utility. I'm using pcap_open_dev() pcap_open_live() (with tm_ms=0 - so unlimited , promisc = 1) , pcap_lookupnet and then finally pcap_next() in a loop to sniff packets. the callback function is defined to be pcap_oneshot, which is processing each packet . I'm posting because my application is working really slow & the lan devices are taking a long time to be detected. I've even tried using pcap_dispatch so that i can test with a variable value for the cnt parameter - but that hasn't helped. I'm looking for a way to improve this packet sniffing - by adjustment of parameters somewhere - or by writing my own low-level code. But I need your help with this. what parameters can i adjust in any of the winpcap functions, or the packet driver - that would help speed up this packet sniffing? Or how would I go about doing this? My LAN consists of 8 devices running Windows O/S. Oh I'm using the Windows version of libpcap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Saad