tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Date format patch

From: "Gisle Vanem" <giva () bgnett no>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 02:18:58 +0100

"Guy Harris" <gharris () sonic net> said:

"setlocale()" is per-process, not per-system, so you don't need the
stuff to turn it off.

Good, that make the patch a bit easier.

Note, however, that "%x" prints the date in MM/DD/YY format, not in
MM/DD/YYYY format, at least on FreeBSD 3.4 in the default locale, so
that changes the output format of "-tttt", at least on that platform.

Hm, on Win32 I get YYYY in all languages I tested with (Win-XP seems
to support every date/time-locale there is).

But, testing setlocale() with OpenWatcom seems broken (it doesn't use
the locale support in KERNEL32.DLL). Only seems to support  "C" locale
and "%x" format returns the long form (Mon Mar 03, 2003). According
to my doc's "%#x" is the long form and "%x" the short (03.03.2003).

So, with all the incompatible locale implementation, maybe the patch
isn't such a good idea.  How about hardcoding for ISO-9601 instead
(YYYY-MM-DD) ?

BTW. The "struct tm tm_copy = *tm" line would break on a pre-ANSI
compiler, right? I assume tcpdump doesn't handle those (?)

Gisle V.

"If you feel paranoid it doesn't mean they're *not* after you" -- Woody Allen

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe