tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap warning: arptype 801 not supported by libpcap -- why this happens?

From: Guy Harris <guy () netapp com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:05:02 -0800

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 05:37:41PM -0500, Ying Ge wrote:
I know that means that the 802.11 raw packet is not recognized by
libpcap. Actually, the libpcap comes with the red-hat 8.0 is the old
version, which did not support 802.11. And I download a later version of
libpcap, compile Ethereal against it, so the Ethereal works fine to
capture the 802.11 packets. But why my code can not recognize these
packets? Is it because when I use "-lpcap", I'm still linking the old
version of libpcap?

Probably.

If it is true, then how can I solve the problem???

Link with the new version. :-)

In what directory are the new libpcap's headers and libraries installed?
"/usr/local/include" and "/usr/local/lib"?  If so, then try compiling
your program with

        gcc -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib my_capture.c -lpcap
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe