tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: AIX BPF driver load

From: Guy Harris <guy () netapp com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:47:29 -0800

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 06:02:13PM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
I checked your change in, although I put "pcap-bpf.h" in the top-level
include directory rather than a "net" subdirectory (and removed some
stuff for the kernel BPF implementation from it).

One problem I've found - the new "-lpcap" has to be linked with "-lodm".

Unfortunately, that means that all programs using libpcap will, in order
to work on AIX, have to be built with "-lodm", meaning that their
configure scripts, etc. will have to be changed.

Can you, on AIX 5.x, just link a program with "-lpcap" without having to
link it with "-lodm"?

If so, how is that done?  Is there a way to specify, when building
libpcap.a, that linking with "-lpcap" should force linking with "-lodm"
as well?  (The SunOS 4.x/SVR4 shared library mechanism lets you specify,
when building a shared library, that the shared library should itself be
linked with another shared library, and if you link with the first
library it'll bring in the second library; however, the AIX shared
library mechanism is completely different.)
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe