tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump filtering query

From: José María González <chema () cs berkeley edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:50:28 -0700

Andrew,

if you want tcpdump to only print specific fields,
you may want to take a look at ipsumdump.

http://www.icir.org/kohler/ipsumdump/

Regards.
-Chema

Andrew Gebhardt wrote:

Hello,

I am sorry you bother members of this mailing list but I have a question
regarding the best way to certain filter fields out of standard tcpdump
output (ascii format).

Currently, I use the awk command to remove certain fields from the tcpdump
output file.  For example:

cat tcpdumpfile | awk -F. '{print
$1"."$2"."$3"."$4"."$5,$6"."$7"."$8"."$9,$10}' | awk -F" " '{print
$1,$2,$3,$5,$6,$7}' | awk -F: '{print $1$2}' > output

Is there a way to filter fields using an expression with the tcpdump
command?  Or is there a more efficient method of filtering fields out of the
tcpdump output than using awk?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated,

Andrew Gebhardt

ajgebha () omnisig com
ajgebha () hotmail com
65 Lakefront Drive
Hammonds Plains, Nova Scotia
B4B 1L4
(902) 832-5421

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe
-