tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Libpcap Open live() doubt

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 13:49:48 -0800

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 05:18:19PM -0000, jebu M Selwyn wrote:
I'm a linux newbee and I'm using libpcap for a project(Network
Monitoring) and I have a doubt regarding the open live method..
In case there is no sender the open live method waits indefinitely

Well, yes, if there are no packets, it might well wait indefinitely, as
it's waiting for packets ot arrived.

and some times even it starts to capture packets even when there
is no data sent..

It's a little difficult to capture packets that don't exist. :-)

What do you mean by "it starts to capture packets" and "when there is no
data sent"?
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe