tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Reserving a libpcap DLT value

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 00:51:27 -0700

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 08:02:23PM -0700, Kent Dahlgren wrote:
The goal here is to de-couple the requirement for coordination between
libpcap and Ethereal.

That is a goal I do not share.

From what I have seen in the Ethereal comments
it hasn't worked well,

That is not what I have seen.

and the situation will only get worse.

I have no reason to believe that.

The number
of transports will grow dramatically the use of as switched interconnect
technology increases.

So?  Unless one shows up every two weeks, which I suspect is extremely
unlikely, that's hardly a burden for the libpcap maintainers.

The approach that I have suggested is simple.

So is the approach I suggested.  The *only* differences are that

        1) you get a new DLT_ for libpcap for each new transport as it
           shows up;

        2) the file format isn't tied to Ethereal, so tools other than
           Ethereal could read it.

If you *really* want a format tied to Ethereal, invent your own file
format (or just tweak the libpcap format with a different magic number -
and, as long as you're at it, get rid of unused fields in the file
header, etc.), and add support for that format to Ethereal.  No need to
involve libpcap at all.

So I have two questions:

         1) how do I get "DLT_NAMED" reserved in libpcap?

Hope that somebody else reserves it for you.  I disagree completely with
that approach, and won't be adding it.
-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe