tcpdump mailing list archives

capturing packets with CRC errors

From: Michael Ang <mang () subcarrier org>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 20:10:06 -0500

Are packets with CRC errors captured by default on FreeBSD? Is this hardware dependent?

I found a question about this in the Ethereal FAQ that seems to hint packet with bad CRCs aren't captured[1]. But I guess this only applies to CRC errors at the link level?

My program deals with TCP packets and I want to know if packets with CRC errors at the IP and TCP level are rejected. Verifying the IP header CRC seems feasible, but not TCP since it may be too expensive and I want to set a small snaplen.

Thanks,
        - Mike.

[1] http://ethereal.ntop.org/faq.html#q4.17

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:tcpdump-workers-request () tcpdump org?body=unsubscribe