Snort mailing list archives

Snort rule writing

From: blend ajazi via Snort-sigs <snort-sigs () lists snort org>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 14:05:22 +0000

Hello community,

I am wondering how to write snort rule which detects for example a ddos attack by analyzing the
"Source-to-destination packets per second"?
Here is an attempt for ddos attack on TCP (SYN flood)

alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET 80 (flags: S; msg:"Possible DoS Attack Type : SYN
flood"; flow:stateless; sid:3; detection_filter:track by_dst, count 20, seconds 10;)

And which rule options do I use for defining the following?

Number of inbound connections per destination IP.
Number of inbound connections per source IP.
Maximum duration of aggregated records

Thank you so much

Best regards

Blend Ajazi